The single most significant development in professional anger management during the current year is the emergence of Emotional Intelligence Assessment and Intervention as the accepted theoretical basis in most Anger Management Curricula in the United States.
A comprehensive Internet review combined with input from Certified Anger Management Facilitators indicate the following changes during the current year:
• The BarOn EQ -i-2.0 Emotional Intelligence Assessment is clearly the most recognized, most researched and most reliable assessment in emotional intelligence coaching and organizational development currently in use. The BarOn EQ-i-2.0 is now the official assessment for use by The American Association of Anger Management Providers as well as Certified Anger Management Facilitators.
• Courts in California increased its’ use of anger management sentences to include coaching for individuals, couples and parents. Family Law Courts joined Criminal Courts in using anger management professionals for court referrals.
• Psychiatrists, Psychologists and Psychotherapists recognized Anger Management based on Emotional Intelligence as the intervention of choice for impulse control.
• Healthcare Organizations nationwide moved decisively to adopt Emotional Intelligence based Anger Management Coaching for “disruptive physicians”.
• Finally, Organizational Development experts moved aggressively to endorse Emotional Intelligence based Anger Management training for business and industry relative to skill enhancement in Stress-Management, Self-Perception, Self-Expression, Interpersonal, Decision Management, Empathy and Impulse Control.
Based on these impressive development during 2011, it is projected that narrowly focused anger management curricula base on anger control alone will fade away during 2012.
George Anderson, MSW, BCD, CAMF, CEAP